Now everyone enjoys a little extra indulgence when they are holiday but you do need to be aware of how what you put into your body can adversely affect your skin.
• The indulgence – meat and cheese appetisers.
• The effect – if you eat too much protein you run the risk of thicker, more stagnant lymphatic fluid which can result in dull, puffy skin and dark circles.
• The better choice – swap those lumps of cheese and cocktail sausages for healthier sticks of vegetables such as carrot or celery.
• The skin care fix – increase fluid drainage to help reduce puffiness and dark circles with Dermalogica’s Ultrasmoothing Eye Serum. Using in a circular motion with your ring finger, lightly massage the serum into your skin, moving towards the bridge of your nose.
• The indulgence – cakes, sweets, biscuits and pies.
• The effect – glycation from sugar can lead to premature aging of the skin in the form of advanced glycation end products (AGEs). These toxic by-products can cause deterioration of the skin, ending in the loss of elasticity and wrinkles.
• The better choice – you can still indulge your sweet tooth but opt for fresh fruit or a small piece of dark chocolate to gain more antioxidant benefits.
• The skin care fix – apply Dermalogica’s Multivitamin Power Recovery Masque a few times each week to nourish your skin with the peptides and AGEs that help stimulate collagen production.
I will be giving another two facts about the effects of alcohol and processed foods on your skin in my blog next month.